I went through a car wash yesterday with my cousin Josh. We talked about how its one of our favorite childhood memories to be inside the car while its happening.
I got home the next morning and my mother was watching a film i love called Corrina Corrina. In this film the little girl character has a birthday party and is asked where her favorite place in the word is. This girl whispers into her mothers ear. The next shot int he film is from the inside of a car going through an automatic car wash.
This brought a huge smile to my face.
Something, there is something so escaping about being inside of an automobile inside of car wash. Watching through the windows as the machines wash and scrub with delicacy the car. Something about the way the windows flood up with white suds. The way the sounds whirl around the car like an animal. This I still remember from childhood with accuracy. So to see this moment be explained in a film just hours later felt special to me. I'm pretty sure this is why I have a passion for film.
On Easter Sunday I opened a link from a friend to a group from London called 'the 'Love Police' on YouTube. It was a eleven minute clip filmed with a flip cam or something of a couple who had a mega phone on a NYC subway. They were encouraging people on the subway to put down they're free newspapers, explaining that although they were free they were also filled with propaganda and taunt us with ads to buy shit we don't need. Instead they were encouraging strangers already on the train to applaud the people getting on at the next stop simply because we are human, and we should celebrate. As the subway car made its way deeper towards the busy city, with each stop more and more people boarded. But the end of the clip the subway car was filled with people smiling and clapping and laughing.
Watching this clip brought tears of joy to my face.
A couple hours later I went the movies, by myself on Easter. I watched a film that time allotted for. It was the 'Source Code'. It was pretty much what I expected from the trailers I have seen. A fast paced action film with a slight intellectual twist at the end. A friend exclaimed it was like 'Inception' times ten, hardly i was thinking. But when the film came to conclusion there was a moment that I really enjoyed. Gyllenhaal's character in the film was walking around the train and paid a comedian one hundred dollars just to make everyone on the train car laugh and have a good time. He encouraged the strangers to break down the invisible walls that divide us, and to celebrate being human and being more than civil but compassionate.
This threw me off guard and again I started to from a tear in my eye. Get out of my head I thought, completely unexpected. I suddenly didn't feel alone at the movies on Easter, but connected to the universe and all the wonderful potential and people inside it.. .
Love Police You Tube Clip -->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Jj0lcmm5Q
No comments:
Post a Comment